Panchayat System in India
Panchayat System in India is deeply ingrained in the Indian system. Since time memorial, the Panchayat Raj have been a front runner of economic development at block and district levels. Here is some food for thought for a change-
- Is it mandatory to have a five year tenure at block and district level? Can three years of service be pegged for panchayats?
- Is reservation necessary at the block level for the Panchayat Raj? If 30% of any block is from the reserved category, then is it possible that only 30% is reserved for the reserved group at the block level service?
- The Panchayat Raj is very important for developing countries. Can the Panchayat system be taken as a model for South-East Asia, where agriculture is the main source of service?
- The three main sources of funds for panchayats can be at district level, state level and at country level. Which project can attach importance first can evolve a metric system, superseding efforts of importance of projects? How can any government ensure running of project managements?
- Can we evolve a feedback mechanism of the panchs directly to the state and central government for the information officers at the block level?
- A chief information officer at a block level can evolve a grievance mechanism for the various schemes and grievance causing social audits?
- Taking a district officer, popularly known as a District Magistrate, can have a project manager working at tandem to notify the central committee on the use of funds against development and other administrative activities?
- How can requirements gathering take place at a block level other than registering complaints to the District Magistrate?
- How can the Panchayat committee be responsible at a larger gamut to collect and disperse requirements from their village?
- Can a state advisory board be responsible for assessing information at a state level?
- How can technology play a major role by connecting villages and their information through NIC or a central server?
- Who is responsible for implementing and assessing changes at a block level?
- MNREGA, Social audits, Information van, basic healthcare, farming methods- who would disperse information at a vernacular level?
- Can a block development officer or a panchayat development officer co-exist?
- Who would ensure MNREGA pays, and at what level of schemes? How can reservation of certain members be a major factor in block representation?
Thank you for reading!